Friday, August 2, 2024

Do You Know How to Really Rest?

 


If you have a pet, watch them…they know how.


Most of us come from backgrounds that value hard work.  Some of us may find it difficult to stop and rest.  There is so much to do!  Who will look after it all if WE don’t do it?


But Jesus says in Matthew 11:28-30:


Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.


Jesus knows that we need rest…for our souls.  So how do we learn how to rest and put aside the massive weight of expectation to work, work, work?


When I watch Jesus, I see him withdraw from the fray periodically to pray.  Crowds were gathering to listen to him and to be cured.  Right after Luke observes this, we read:


Luke 5:16 But Jesus often withdrew to lonely places and prayed.


I wonder how Jesus learned this?  How was he able to rest his soul when there was so much to do?  How could he let his guard down for one minute…didn’t he have to do it ALL?


We know that Jesus knew his scripture.  In Psalm 91, we read God’s words, words that Jesus would have known well:


14“Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
    I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
    I will be with him in trouble;
    I will rescue him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
    and show him my salvation.” 


On Sunday, Rev. Paul Beckingham will gather us at the Lord’s table and teach us about resting in God.  We'll be doing this in the Dogwood Room (behind the Lower Hall stage) where it will be a bit cooler than the Chapel.  I invite you to read the rest of Psalm 91 before Sunday.  




Image:   Tambako The Jaguar on Flickr



No comments:

Post a Comment