Friday, August 7, 2026

When Were You Graced by God's Goodness this week?

 


On Thursday, Rev. Donna spoke to me about Worship Matters.  “Grace, goodness, gratitude,” she said.  “The 3G Network of Christian Spirituality”  “OK”, I replied.  But did I really understand?


Later, she watched me receive a gift and said, “You were just graced by God’s goodness!  And you are grateful.”  Ah, there is nothing like experiencing something to really understand.


I began to think back over my week and remembered receiving two other gifts from people - graced by God’s goodness again!  And the cool marine breeze and shadow of God’s leafy trees that kept me cool as I walked in the hot sun…more grace and goodness! 


As I looked over the Worship Map (attached), I realized that I had received a multitude of gifts that I didn’t recognize at the time.  Our songs and readings are full of them.


Isaiah  40:


He gives strength to the weary

    and increases the power of the weak.


Even youths grow tired and weary,

    and young men stumble and fall;

                           but those who hope in the Lord

    will renew their strength.



How many times did I stumble and not fall this week? How many times did God give me the strength that I needed?  I can’t even count.  


How many times did his angels bear me up or did he give me refuge and shield me from harm (Psalm 91)?  Did I respond by singing his grace?  I did not.  Hopefully I’ll make up for it on Sunday.

  

Come O fount of every blessing

tune my heart to sing your grace.

Streams of mercy never ceasing

call for songs of loudest praise.

Teach me some melodious sonnet

sung by flaming tongues above!

Praise the mount, I’m fixed upon it,

mount of God’s unfailing love.



"For many of us, expressing thanks is too infrequent or only comes with a rush of relief that you have somehow dodged another bullet, found your iPhone, had good news from the doctor, didn't get pulled over … you get the idea.” - Anne Lamott 


No comments:

Post a Comment