Friday, October 18, 2024

Tell Me the Stories of Jesus

 

(Lyrics: William H. Parker)


This Sunday, we are starting a series focussing on the stories of Jesus.  We begin in the Book of Luke:


Luke 13. 10-17 


On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all.  When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, ‘Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.’  Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God.

Indignant because Jesus had healed on the Sabbath, the synagogue leader said to the people, ‘There are six days for work. So come and be healed on those days, not on the Sabbath.’

The Lord answered him, ‘You hypocrites! Doesn’t each of you on the Sabbath untie your ox or donkey from the stall and lead it out to give it water?  Then should not this woman, a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan has kept bound for eighteen long years, be set free on the Sabbath day from what bound her?’

When he said this, all his opponents were humiliated, but the people were delighted with all the wonderful things he was doing.

One of the things I like to do as I read the stories of Jesus is imagine myself as one of the people in this story. 

I invite you to try this.  Who are you in the story?  Where are you?  How do you feel at various points in the story?  


Today I am the crippled woman. I am standing at the back of a room which looks like our church sanctuary.  It is packed with people.  I am listening carefully to what Jesus is saying.


I see Jesus looking right at me.  It is amazing to me that Jesus even sees me…and then to be called forward by him…spoken to!  He lays his hands on me and I am in tears. But I straighten immediately.  I am overjoyed. 


As I am looking into Jesus' eyes I hear a voice…the synagogue leader's voice. When he tells the people that the Sabbath is not the day to come to the Sabbath to be healed, I feel ashamed. I'm humiliated.  I lower my head.


Then I hear Jesus’ voice, and he is scolding the leaders.  I look up at the leaders and they are humiliated now.  I look around me at the people and they are smiling in delight with all of the wonderful things that Jesus is doing. 


I hope to see you on Sunday to worship this compassionate God and to spend more time with this passage.


An invitation from Rev. Donna and the Advisory:  As previously announced, Rev. Donna Dinsmore has rejoined CVC on a part-time basis.  As we begin this new journey together, Donna will be hosting a series of after-worship gatherings.  There will be conversations, singing, and reflections.  We hope you will stay for about 30 minutes after worship; this week we will enjoy some conversation to inform us and to reconnect with Donna!





No comments:

Post a Comment